Interfaith Scout Law Resource
Welcome, BSA Scouts! This resource has been created to assist you in your interfaith services. As a Scout, you are expected to live by the Scout Law which outlines the qualities that make a person trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.
Each principle of the Scout Law is important and vital for a Scout to follow not just in their daily lives but also from a religious point of view. To help emphasize this, we have gathered religious quotes from 8 major religions that can be used in a spiritual talk or speech.
To use this resource, simply look under the specific law you're interested in reflecting upon, and then choose from the religion you would like to quote. These quotes will help you understand why each law is significant and how it can be applied in your daily life as a Scout.
We hope that this resource will inspire you to lead a life of honor, courage, and service to others. Remember, as Scouts, we are united in our shared values, and we can learn from each other's faiths and traditions.
Please Contact me if you have any questions, concerns or a request for an edit or correction because together we will make this document exceptional….
TRUSTWORTHY: Tell the truth and keep promises. People can depend on you.
- "Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good." - Romans 12:9
- "Whoever is faithful in very little is also faithful in much, and whoever is dishonest in very little is also dishonest in much." - Luke 16:10
- "The integrity of the upright guides them, but the crookedness of the treacherous destroys them." - Proverbs 11:3
- "A faithful witness does not lie, but a false witness breathes out lies." - Proverbs 14:5
- "Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices" - Colossians 3:9
- "The one who guards his mouth and tongue keeps himself out of trouble." - Proverbs 21:23
- "Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for You." - Psalms 25:21
- "You shall not steal; you shall not deal falsely; you shall not lie to one another." - Leviticus 19:11
- "Those who are trustworthy can keep a confidence." - Proverbs 11:13
- "The righteous man walks in his integrity; his children are blessed after him." - Proverbs 20:7
- "O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm for Allah, witnesses in justice, and do not let the hatred of a people prevent you from being just. Be just; that is nearer to righteousness." - Quran 5:8
- "Allah commands justice, the doing of good, and giving to relatives, and He forbids immorality and bad conduct and oppression." - Quran 16:90
- "And cover not truth with falsehood, nor conceal the truth when ye know (what it is)." - Quran 2:42
- "Verily, Allah loves those who deal with equity, justice, and who do good." - Quran 60:8
- "The signs of a hypocrite are three: when he speaks, he lies; when he makes a promise, he breaks it; and when he is entrusted with something, he betrays that trust." - Hadith
- "Speak the truth, hold the truth, do not neglect the truth. The highest virtue is truth." - Mahabharata, 12.62.42
- "The words of the truthful are always pleasant. The actions of the truthful are always fruitful." - Bhagavad Gita, 17.15
- "He who is not trustworthy cannot find happiness." - Manusmriti 7.104
- "The true leader of men is he who knows the secrets of his own heart and is trustworthy in his words and deeds." - Ramayana 2.107.30
- "One who is steadfast in righteousness, truthful, and free from malice attains the highest state of bliss." - Bhagavad Gita, 18.53
- "Don’t trust people whose feelings change with time, trust people whose feelings remain the same even when the time changes.” – Buddha
- "Without communication there is no relationship. Without respect there is no love. Without trust, there’s no reason to continue.” – Buddha
- "The root of all goodness is in the soil of appreciation for goodness." - Dalai Lama
- "Trust is earned, respect is given, and loyalty is demonstrated. Betrayal of any one of those is to lose all three." – Buddha
- "The real destroyer of inner peace is fear and distrust. Fear develops frustration, frustration develops anger, anger develops violence." - Dalai Lama
- "Let your word be your bond." - Guru Nanak Dev Ji
- "The tongue should never be used to speak lies." - Guru Nanak Dev Ji
- "One who is truthful and holds fast to truth, shall obtain whatever he desires." - Guru Nanak Dev Ji
- "Truth is the highest virtue, but higher still is truthful living." - Guru Nanak Dev Ji
- "One who is trusted, becomes trustworthy." - Guru Nanak Dev Ji
- "The wise speak only of what they know, and the foolish speak of everything." - Tao Te Ching
- "To be trusted is a greater compliment than being loved." - Lao Tzu
- "The man who makes everything that leads to happiness depends upon himself, and not upon other men, has adopted the very best plan for living happily." - Confucius
- "Act without expectation." - Tao Te Ching
- "When trust is broken, sorry means nothing." - Taoist Proverb
- "A promise is a promise; it must be kept." - Shinto Proverb
- "A word once spoken cannot be swallowed again." - Shinto Proverb
- "A person who breaks promises will find that they have no power in society." - Shinto Proverb
- "A trustworthy man will never betray a trust given to him." - Shinto Proverb
- "The heart that is open to others is the path to happiness." - Emperor Meiji